Thursday, March 12, 2009

I had an experience this morning that has left me heartbroken and near tears most of the day.

My little guy was trying to play with some little girls, and one of them was so mean to him. Being that he has trouble with social cues, he had no idea that she was making fun of him and treating him poorly.

I tried to distract him and suggested that we go for a walk, or get a drink of water, but he kept saying that he was having fun playing with the little girls.

I hate, hate, hate seeing my children hurt. However, seeing him being hurt and him NOT knowing was absolutely devastating to me.

I was able to keep from crying while there, but later I broke down in tears.

He wasn't hurt. I was. What can I do to protect my baby from these things? He's going to be homeschooled, so I know he will be in a safe, loving environment for his education. But what about the rest of it? What about sending him to classes, sports, birthday parties?

It is likely that this has something to do with hormones. I'll probably laugh at myself in the morning. But for now, I think I'm going to go cuddle up next to my little man and cry a few silent tears for his innocence.

3 comments:

  1. That is horrible! I would be upset too. I used to cry just thinking about the baby being made fun of when she grew up for having a physical disability. You should have told the other kid that she was being a brat. Were the parents anywhere around? I would be the type to tell the parents to teach their kids to not be so hateful. Kids are horribly mean without realizing the effects it can have later in life on those that were made fun of. I was made fun of and it still haunts me. If my kids are every caught making fun of other kids, I will beat their asses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All kids have this issue to some degree - it just sucks. Whether it is because of autism or they look different or have funny hair or are younger/older/fatter etc. they will all go through it. It hurts us more than it hurts them in most cases. Fucking people and their damn kids of hatefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. That would break my mama heart too. Kids can be so mean. I hope as those little girls grow older they learn to treat others more kindly than they did your son.

    ReplyDelete